Here's the plan: We all cut our carbon by 10% in a year. You, me, that bloke walking his dog outside. Your work, your kids’ school, the council, the church, the chip shop. Everyone.
You pledge to cut your emissions by 10% in one year. Don't worry if it sounds difficult – we'll help you every step of the way with tips, case studies and other resources.
For most people, 10% is fairly easy. Unless you've already done a lot to reduce your emissions, things like insulating your loft, flying less and staying longer, or changing your lightbulbs should do the trick.
10:10 makes our individual efforts meaningful by ensuring that lots of people and organisations unite behind a single pledge. This ensures that we're not only cutting emissions directly but also showing politicians that we're ready to tackle climate change right now. You can boost your impact yet further by encouraging your friends, workplace, clubs or schools to sign up to 10:10. Our Share page has all the resources you need to get the word out.
Big tasks are easier if broken up into smaller, manageable pieces – and 10% this year is much more tangible and achievable than, say, 80% by 2050. Furthermore, 10% starting this year is the kind of target that will give us the best chance of a safe future for our children and grandchildren. Cutting our carbon by 10% is just the first step, of course, but it puts us on the right track.