10:10 is about one simple idea: we all commit to reduce our carbon emissions by 10% in a year, then work together to make it happen.
Individuals and families, schools and universities, small shops and global brands, film stars and politicians … almost everyone can sign up cut their carbon emissions by 10%. Don't worry if you haven't thought about your carbon footprint much before – if you're willing to give it a try, we'd love to help you get started.
Carbon emissions (more accurately greenhouse gas emissions) are the main cause of currently-observed global warming. They are released when fuels are burned in vehicles, homes, power stations and factories.
For more on emissions and global warming, we recommend the Guardian's ultimate climate change FAQ.
Big tasks are easier if broken up into smaller, manageable pieces – and 10% this year is much more tangible and achievable than, say, 80% by 2050. Two studies conducted by the Tyndall Centre (summarised in PIRC's Climate Safety Report) suggest that 10% a year starting in 2010 (or as soon as possible) is the kind of target that will give us the best chance of avoiding the worst impacts of climate change and securing a safe future for our children and grandchildren. 10% is just the first step, of course, but it puts us on the right track.
No. As long as you do your 10% over a one-year period, that's fine with us! In 2012, we're using everything we've learned over the last two years to get keep carbon emissions coming down. We hope you'll join us.
Worldwide, the 10:10 project has recruited:
More than 75,000 people including Delia Smith, Sara Cox, Vivienne Westwood and Colin Firth
More than 3,000 businesses including Royal Mail, O2, Adidas and Tottenham Hotspur FC
More than 1,900 schools, colleges and universities including Edinburgh University, King's College London, York University and Liverpool University
More than 2,000 other organisations including the National Union of Students, the Womens' Institute and 155 local councils representing over 24m people
10:10 started in the UK, but it's quickly spreading across the world. 10:10 campaigns are already up and running in more than 40 countries including Australia, Ghana, Bangladesh, Russia and Nepal, with lots more on the horizon. The 10:10 Global campaign boasts more than 115,000 signups in 186 countries. Take a look at the 10:10 Global homepage for the latest.
You pledge to cut your emissions by 10% in one year. Don't worry if it sounds difficult – we'll help you every step of the way with tips, case studies and other resources.
Simply enter your details on the right-hand side of any page on the 10:10 site, including this one.
For most people, 10% is fairly easy. Unless you've already done a lot to reduce your emissions, things like insulating your loft, flying less and staying longer, or changing your lightbulbs should do the trick. More on how to do 10%.
10:10 makes our individual efforts meaningful by ensuring that lots of people and organisations unite behind a single pledge. This ensures that we're not only cutting emissions directly but also showing politicians that we're ready to tackle climate change right now. You can boost your impact yet further by encouraging your friends, workplace, clubs or schools to sign up to 10:10. Our Share page has all the resources you need to get the word out.
The 10:10 Tag is made from a recycled jumbo jet (this one, to be precise), and can be worn on the neck, wrist, lapel or leotard to symbolise your 10:10 commitment. Click here to order or find out more.
Businesses, schools and other organisations aim for a 10% carbon reduction in one year across four key areas of their emissions: grid electricity, on-site fossil fuels, vehicle fuels and air travel. You can choose the precise dates of your year to fit in with your carbon or accounting reporting period.
10:10 companies also work to reduce any other emissions they're responsible for, and encourage customers, staff and suppliers to sign up too.
10% in a single year may sound fairly ambitious for a business or organisation but don't be too nervous. Joining 10:10 is all about aiming high and seeing what's possible. You'll probably find that your staff or students get much more engaged once your carbon-saving actions are tied in with 10:10. And if for whatever reason you don't actually hit 10% then no one is going to hold it against you – any significant emissions saving is something to be celebrated.
10:10 is an independent organisation founded by film director Franny Armstrong, staffed by a small team based in Camden Town, London, and backed by a range of organisations including Comic Relief, the Carbon Trust and the Energy Saving Trust. See a full list of our supporters, delivery partners and major donors
The 10:10 Trust is a charity which oversees two not-for-profit companies limited by guarantee: 10:10 UK and 10:10 Global.
For links to policies, statements, filings, notifications and all things law-related, see our Legal page
10:10 has big ambitions and minimal resources, so we're always glad of extra support. The main things you can do are:
We're (almost) everywhere! Follow, fan or friend us and join the conversation:
Take a look at our jobs page to find out if we're hiring.
We send out emails once every couple of weeks. If you've been signed up longer than that and still haven't heard from us, check your spam folder to make sure our messages aren't ending up in there, then add email@example.com to your address book or whitelist.
If there's still no sign of them, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the name and email you used to sign up and we'll look into it.
You can browse our previous mailouts (dating back to mid-November 2009) here.
Including these details makes it easier to track down and fix the problem.
Email email@example.com. To make sure we can find you in the database, remember to use the email address you signed up with, or specify it in the body of your message. Bear in mind that unsubscribing only takes you off the email list. If you want to remove your details from the database altogether, read on.
We're sorry to see you go, but if you've decided to leave 10:10 for good, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll take you off the database.